Friday, November 17, 2006

Accidents and Vista

Not in a good mood. Coming back home from work, I got into an accident, thankfully no one was hurt, except my car, and the idiots car who banged into the back :(

So I've installed the version of Vista that was available on msdn, and no problems during installation. After installation, all the hardware seems to work fine. I wanted the latest drivers from nvidia, and they have Vista drivers, so I downloaded those. But the package just doesn't seem to recognize the Nvidia Quadro NVS 110 chip. Oh well, on to more important things.

I started up IE7 and went to google reader. It still has the same problem as when I was in XP. So I downloaded firefox. But their is a weird problem in Firefox. One I can't make a screenshot of. Basically the whole page is moving up and down ever so slightly at a rapid pace. I'm feeling giddy after having tried to read one or two posts as they rapidly moved two and fro.

The security warning when you try to install an app are really distracting. They basically blink the screen real fast, and its throwing me of. Other than that, I like it so far.

Update: Looks like the flicker in firefox has to do with resized Firefox window. I guess if the size is not right, it will flicker google reader up and down the screen.

Its kind of irritating that VLC turns of the glass effects every time it runs because it uses uncompatible components. Very irritating.

More Updates: Actually it doesn't seem to have anything to do with resizing. Rather, it seems like its a problem with the flash player. The flickering started back the moment I installed the flash player.

I'm not sure whats going on here. I tried uninstalling the flash plugin, by removing it from the mozilla directory, but the flicker wouldn't go away and neither would the flash plugin. To remove the plugin, I checked the profiles in the AppData directory, but they didn't have the plugin. The plugin was in the Program Files/Mozilla Firefox folder, which I deleted. But that didn't fix the problem.

Then I uninstalled Firefox, went in manually and deleted all firefox folders in "Program Files" folder, and "AppData" folder. After which I reinstalled Firefox2 and this time I haven't seen the flicker yet.

I give up. It started doing it again. I'm trying Opera. I need a browser that works with Google Reader!

Mozilla and hypocrisy

Right, but what about the experiences that Mozilla chooses to default for users like switching to  Yahoo and making that the default upon ...